Catholic Schools Week News: (Week of Jan 29th – Feb. 3rd) “Faith, Academics, Service”
- ATTENTION! ATTENTION! Mark your calendars now for the Catholic Schools’ Week family event for OLOS School families. In celebration of our Catholic School family, we will be going to the roller skating rink in Jefferson City (SK8) on Sunday, January 29, 2012, from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm for a 2 hour private skating session. The school children’s entrance fee will be paid for through your fundraising efforts by the Home & School. All others skating will be charged $4.50. PLEASE FILL OUT SHEET REGARDING THE SKATING PARTY THAT IS ENCLOSED IN TODAY’S FOLDER. If you do not skate you do not have to pay. All family members are encouraged and welcomed to attend. ALL STUDENTS MUST HAVE A PARENT OR ADULT WITH THEM TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEM. Concessions will be available for sale or you may bring your own in.
- Do you know of an elderly or disabled person in our community who might need a little help with chores this winter? For Catholic Schools’ Week, we are hoping to send out students on community service projects to help those who might need a “helping hand”. If you know of someone who could use some help, please send a note or give office staff a call. Thank you!
- We are asking each family to send in 3 dozen homemade cookies – to be distributed after all Masses on Jan. 28-29. Please send these to school by Friday, Jan. 27th. If you would like to send those in ahead of time – you may do so at anytime next week, and we will put in freezer until needed. ALL CHILDREN IN FAMILY WILL RECEIVE A DRESS DOWN PASS FOR BRINGING IN 3 DOZEN COOKIES PER FAMILY.
- Brief Highlight of Activities: - (students enjoy their favorite lunches during CSW week)
Sat/Sun. Jan. 28-29: Presentation at each Mass highlighting our faith, academics & service. Students have been assigned to positions based on the responses from last week’s survey .PLEASE SEE ENCLOSED MASS DUTIES ON THE 28TH AND 29TH – Thank you for helping out!
Sun: Jan. 29: Skating Party (outlined above)
Mon: Jan. 30: Community – Christian service in community, deliver cookies to community
Tues., Jan. 31: Vocation – Sister Josetta/deacon/Father Pat visit with students
Wed., Feb. 1 – Nation – dress in red/white/blue – contest for best dressed, patriotic rosary @ 2:15 in gym – please invite anyone who has served our nation to join us & let the office know they are coming – please have them be here by 2:15 pm.
Thurs., Feb. 2 – Faculty – breakfast provided to staff, baby picture game - students guess. VOLUNTEERS NEEDED TO SUPERVISE LUNCH WHILE STAFF TAKES A BREAK – 11:00 AM – 12:00 NOON. Please call office with your offer to help!
Fri., Feb. 3 – Student – Pajama day, movie, popcorn & drink in gym, pie in face for “winner” of staff baby contest.
God bless and protect our students and staff/parents and all of the pilgrims from our parish and diocese who are leaving for the March for Life in Washington D. C. this Saturday. Students/staff/parents from our school attending are: Carla Morris, Laura Schulte, Tammy Love, Noah Puckett, Morgan Pringer, Maggie Morris, Aubrey Kauffman, Daniel Beck, Alex Schulte, Sam Beck, & Erin Love. There are a total of 21 going from Our Lady of the Snows Parish. They will return on Tuesday afternoon. Please keep them in your prayers.
The 7th & 8th graders will be attending the annual Pro-Life Rosary at the State Capitol on Friday, Jan. 27th. They will also take a ½ hour tour of the Supreme Court Building across the street from the Capitol at 10:30 am. After the Rosary, they will be eating at El Jimador. Students should wear dress code clothing. This is a school spirit dress down day, but we will issue the 7/8 graders dress down passes to be used another day. Please send money and make sure your child has their rosary with them – as this is the main point of the trip. Please take time to talk to your 7th/8th grader about the importance of this prayer. They will be attended by Amy Marriott – who is subbing for Mr. Vandike that day, Rosie Beck, and Brian Kliethermes.
Change of Menu: Mon., Jan. 23 – Chicken Sandwich, Tator Tots, Peaches
Tues., Jan. 24 – Pizza Pockets, Sweet Potato Fries, Fresh Fruit, Corn
Italian Feast News:
- Tickets were sent home before Christmas for the Italian Feast. Please make every effort to sell your tickets, and if you need more, please send a note to the office. All ticket money should be turned in by January 30, 2012. This will determine the amount of food to be ordered/prepared for this event. Tickets will be $1 higher at the door.
- With all the clearance sales going on, don’t forget about the Silent Auction items for the Italian Feast. Remember to please send in an item for your child’s classroom basket and another larger item from your family for the auction. Classroom themes: PK: Scrapbooking, K/1: Game Night, 2: Baking Cookies, 3: Spa basket, 4: Fun in the Pool, 5: Cardinals baseball, 6: Fishing, 7/8 Movie Night. If you desire, you may send in $5 to the classroom teacher and let him/her do your shopping for you. Along with the classroom basket, each family is asked to donate or solicit a donation for at least one additional item of value.
- Help will be needed preparing food on Friday, February 3rd for the Italian Feast - preparing sauce, lasagna and cheese cake. Also, we will need help with decorating.
Workers for tomorrow’s games (Jan. 21, 2012): (Parent’s of…) Gate – 8:00 am – Rachel Buechter, 9:00 am – Ashley Kauffman, Concession – 8:00 am – Kalie Massman, 9:00 am – Makinzie Morgan, 10:00 am – Makinzie Morgan, Score Book – 8:00 am – Kenadi Trachsel, 9:00 am – Madison Evers, 10:00 am – Madison Evers.
INCOME/EXPENSE: Ballgames 1/14/12 - $97.50 – Gate, $181.90 – Concessions. (minus $120 refs, scoreboard, and concession expense)
CHANGE OF DATE: SCHOOL WILL BE IN SESSION ON MARCH 16. THE TEACHER RETREAT HAS BEEN MOVED TO MARCH 23RD – SO WE WILL BE OFF THAT DAY INSTEAD.
Please find enclosed in today’s folder free & reduced lunch applications. If you are currently receiving free or reduced lunches – please do not fill another form out. However, we are putting these out again for families who are not on the program who may have experienced a change in income since the beginning of the school year – and might now quality. If you have any questions, please contact Carla Morris or Gayle Trachsel.
INCLEMENT WEATHER: In case of snow or bad conditions, please tune in to KOMU–TV, Channel 8, KRCG-TV Channel 13, ABC-TV Channel 17 and radio stations KLIK, KJMO, KWOS, KPLA, KOQL, KATI, KCLR/Y107. We will post snow day information and early dismissals. As a parent, it is your responsibility to be aware of conditions and when you suspect bad weather to tune into these stations for more information. NO PHONE CALLS WILL BE MADE INDIVIDUALLY TO PARENTS. If we dismiss early, we try to get an email out to parents. PLEASE TRY TO LIMIT CALLS TO SCHOOL ASKING IF WE ARE DISMISSING EARLY. Once the decision has been made, we contact the radio stations and television stations immediately. However, WE CANNOT DO THIS IN A TIMELY FASHION IF ALL THE PHONE LINES ARE TIED UP FIELDING INCOMING CALLS. Please also keep in mind that we are always looking out for the safety of all students and staff. If we call early, and not much happens weather-wise, all we can say is “better safe than sorry”. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
8th graders – Mark your calendar – 8th grade retreat – Thursday, March 8th, 2012. Lynn Kempker has volunteered to drive and stay on-site for the day. She can haul four students. Carla Morris has also volunteered to drive that day and can haul four, so that takes care of all of the students. ALSO – 8TH GRADE PARENTS – PLEASE SEND IN $10 TO COVER THE COST OF THIS RETREAT. PLEASE SEND PAYMENT IN A MARKED ENVELOPE TO THE SCHOOL OFFICE NO LATER THAN FEBRUARY 12TH (checks payable to OLOS School. Thank you!
7TH GRADERS: You are invited to Helias Basketball games on Friday, Jan. 27th (beginning at 6:00 pm). Complimentary tickets are included in today’s folder. These are good for both the boys’ and girls’ games against Moberly. There will be an announcement prior to the varsity boys’ game recognizing the 7th graders as special guests and welcoming them to Helias. Any friends/parents may also attend, but must pay regular admission price. The JV games will be at 6:00 pm & the Varsity games begin around 7:30 pm. The boys’ games will be in the Field House and the girls’ games will be in the old gym. You can choose which games you’d like to go to.
JV BOYS BASKETBALL & CHEERLEADERS: Please remember to bring your uniforms AND MEDALS to school next Thursday, Jan. 26th. The boys will be featured for winning the tournament at Wardsville and the Cheer girls will also get their group picture in the paper.
We will be having A Renaissance Day in April. You might be looking for clearance items on costumes for jesters, prince, princess, peasant, kings, queen, knights, fairies, magician, jugglers, etc.
SUBS NEEDED AT OLOS SCHOOL: 60 college hours required. Please think of anyone you know who might be interested and let them know about this opportunity. We have very limited substitute help. Please contact Mrs. Trachsel for more information.
Deadline for Friday note information is Thursdays, 9:00 am. All non-school related flyers need to be copied ahead of time on paper (the school cannot afford to supply paper for outside events). Upon approval by the principal, the information will then be placed in the Friday folder as a courtesy. It is not appropriate for the school to send out extraneous information that can be handled other ways. Also, if you have items for the Friday notes, please write these items up, send them in, or email them to email@example.com (call to let me know you have emailed please). I don’t mind doing a little editing and rewording, but the bulk of the item should be outlined with details.
Remember to return your Friday Folder on Monday.
Have a great weekend everyone!